A payment is now available to any Australian resident or working visa holder unable to work due to a coronavirus lockdown that lasts more than seven days.
People in Sydney who have been unable to work due to the current coronavirus lockdowns are now eligible for the Covid-19 Disaster Payment. Both Australian residents and working visa holders are eligible to apply.
You may be eligible if all of the following apply:
- You can’t attend work and lost income on or after day 8 of a COVID-19 lockdown.
- You don’t have access to appropriate paid leave entitlements through your employer.
- You’re not getting an income support payment, a state or territory pandemic payment, Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment or state small business payment for the same period.
If you've lost less than 20 hours of work, you can receive $375 for each relevant period of lockdown. If you lost 20 hours or more of work, you can receive $600 for each relevant period of lockdown.
Right now, claims for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment are open for residents of Bayside, City of Sydney, Canada Bay, Inner West, Randwick, Waverley, Woollahra, Greater Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong.
You will NOT automatically receive this payment. Australian residents can claim online using a myGov account linked to a Centrelink online account. If you don’t have a myGov account, you can create one.
Working visa holders need to phone Services Australia to get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment. Their phone number is 180 22 66.
Everything you need to know about the COVID-19 disaster payment:
How much is the COVID-19 Disaster Payment?
People who would ordinarily work more than 20 hours in a week will be paid $750, with $450 paid to those who would have worked less than 20 hours a week.
Where and how do I apply for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment?
You DO NOT automatically receive this payment. You'll need to apply through the myGov website.
Step-by-step guide on how to apply for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment
- Login to myGov.com.au.
- Follow the prompts under 'Government support for Coronavirus'
- If you already have a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN), you'll need to provide it. If not, you'll be required to register for one and need to provide some form of identification such as your passport or birth certificate.
- All done! The government will process your request and then you'll receive the funds in your bank account.
If you're a working visa holder, you need to call 180 22 66 to make a claim. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm.
What are the terms and conditions?
The payment is only made available to those who are really not able to work. For example, if you have an office job that can be reasonably done from home, you are not eligible.
You need to be 17 years or over to get the payment.
You also won't receive the payment if you're getting income support payments, another form of pandemic leave payment or a state small business payment.